Valerian is an herb that has been cultivated in North America since the early 1800s. Valerian root extract supports a mild relaxing and sleep-supporting effect without inducing drowsiness.1 It has also been shown to support a healthy reaction to mental stress.2 Research has shown that valerian and its active compound valerenic acid activate the 5-hydroxytroptophan (5-HT) 5a receptor.3
Benefits at a Glance:
- Promote a sense of relaxation
- Supports a transition to sleep
- Helps maintain quality sleep
- Liquid Phyto-Caps® provide a convenient way to take liquid herbal extracts
Researchers who reviewed 16 studies that included a total of 1,093 participants concluded that the available evidence suggests that valerian root may improve sleep quality without unwanted effects when consumed at bedtime.4 Another analysis, which involved 18 randomized trials, found that valerian improved self-rated sleep quality by 37% compared to a placebo.5
In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over trial of insomnia patients, an extract of valerian was associated with positive effects on sleep structure and sleep perception.6 Another randomized, placebo-controlled trial, involving postmenopausal women with insomnia, found that 30% of women who received valerian extract experienced improved sleep quality compared to 4% of the placebo group.7
- Farah GJ et al. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019 Sep;77(9):1796.e1-1796.e8.
- Cropley M et al. Phytother Res. 2002 Feb;16(1):23-7.
- Dietz BM et al. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2005 Aug 18;138(2):191-7.
- Bent S et al. Am J Med. 2006 Dec;119(12):1005-12.
- Fernández-San-Martín MI et al. Sleep Med. 2010 Jun;11(6):505-11.
- Donath F et al. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2000 Mar;33(2):47-53.
- Taavoni S et al. Menopause. 2011 Sep;18(9):951-5.